Saturday, October 22, 2011

Where is the Reverend Shaw Moore?

Only he can get the citizens of Beaumont to wake up and stop being silly.


"Satan isn't in these books! He's in HERE!"

*picture Shaw pointing to his heart*

According to a few sweet misguided Beaumont-ish souls, Satan's favorite holiday is Halloween, and if you celebrate it and participate in its traditions, you're associating with him and being all naughty and stuff.

(How they know this, I can't figure out. Did they interview him about it? It's about as bad as whether Mormons are Christian or not.)

So Satan is a Halloween fan?  My darling little seven-year-old dressing up in a costume, going door-to-door asking for candy, and being praised for her cuteness is something he delights in?  Is he really big into eyeliner and fake blood and hollowed-out gourds with candles in them?  The ward's annual trunk-or-treat, is that one of his favorite things?

The whole thing is goofy. If Wikipedia is correct (and when isn't it), Halloween stemmed from a Catholic church tradition. How did it become Satanic, exactly? And whatever it once was, is it still celebrated that way today?

More importantly, aren't these anti-Halloweeners lending more evil credence to an insignificant day of the year, with their crybabying and shunning?

I'm sure some of his worshippers engage in stupid, evil activities on Halloween, but it seems a little naive to assume that it only happens that day or that they need a special occasion to do their thing.  "IT'S OCTOBER 31ST.  TODAY IS THE DAY WE ALL MAIM RACCOONS AND DRINK SLUG SLIME."  Like they can't do that on any other day of the year?

But what do I know - I'm just a Mormon.

(WINK, WINK)

Dreaming of chocolate-caramel eyeballs and laughing in devilish delight,
Fisher Cutbait

2 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

That's exactly right, FC. You're already a cult member.
By the way, can we talk about Footloose?
As a kid, did you think the preacher guy was whacko or did he sound like every YW/YM leader of the time? Or do they all sound like that now? I haven't seen the new movie. Frankly, I'm pretty sure I'd be siding with the preacher. Have you listened to the radio lately? I seriously need to write a post about that b /c I'm about to have a nervous breakdown.

Fisher Cutbait said...

When I was young and watched Footloose, he sounded wackier than my YW leaders, but mostly because not a lot of yelling goes on in our meetings. And as far as I knew, no parent in our ward was slapping his kid around the way Shaw slapped Ariel.

Now he still seems really out there, but I sympathize too. While I don't want to outlaw dancing, there are some things I'd really like to see scaled back that would have people bugged about me taking away their "freedoms".