Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm a million times more humble than thou art

Before I launch into this: I am a Christian. I believe Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God. I love him and try to follow him.

This is a commentary on some things I see going on this time of year.

It seems to me that if one is a Christian, one would behave more like Christ and not so much like a pouty brat.

Such as assuming that all of one's family members, friends, coworkers, neighbors, or strangers on one's street all believe the same things about Christ and Christianity that one does. They don't - couldn't possibly. There's not much that can be scientifically proven about Jesus. Faith in him is a personal thing. Even members of the same church might disagree about one or two points.

Such as insisting that Christmas is the only religious holiday in December. It isn't, and while the others may seem unholy or ungodly, other people believe they are holy and godly, or at least worth celebrating. It's no reflection on Christians that other people believe in or want to celebrate other things.

Such as getting one's knickers in a twist when someone else says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Go ahead and wish people a merry Christmas. Just don't get bugged when other people say something else. Jews have been listening to some equivalent of "Merry Christmas" for a long time.

I'm not saying Christians need to become politically correct or sanitized versions of themselves; I'm saying calm down, be humble. It's a holiday. It's one day out of the year. It's not even Christ's real birthday. I really don't think he would freak about this stuff.

What I do get my Christian shorts in an uproar about - the one thing I would change, though it's actually pretty stupid and petty - is that the local news media won't call the big lit-up tree in Pioneer Courthouse Square

A CHRISTMAS TREE.

Is there another holiday that is celebrated with a tree?

But like I said, it doesn't really matter. I doubt the Lord is that invested in our celebrating His birth with decorated evergreens.

I love Christmas and I'm happy it's here again. It can bring out the very best and kindest and most generous in people. It would be nice if we could keep it just to that.

Priding herself on her humility,
Fisher Cutbait

4 comments:

Heffalump said...

What?! Are you saying there wasn't a big huge evergreen tree and stockings hung up in the stable? You've got to be kidding me!

Jill said...

It brings out the kindness, generosity and best in people, except at Walmart at midnight on Black Friday. The official entry into this Christian holiday season was filled with a lot of un-Christlike behavior! :)

I agree with your post... thank you. And Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Happy whatever else I'm missing and all that jazz.

Fisher Cutbait said...

Heff, shocking, right?? Sorry to burst your bubble!

Jill, seriously :) Those people amaze me! Pepper Spray Lady especially. I hope she bought more on sale that day, sounds like she has an itchy trigger finger ;)

Sketchy said...

AAAAAAAmen!